White Star Line: SS Gallic II
Originally Built as War Argus in 1918, by Workman Clark & Company in Belfast, she was one of twenty-two Standard G Type twin screw cargo carriers. They were built for the British Shipping Controller and had large cargo carrying capabilities for the war effort. They were each 465 feet long and had a 58 foot beam. Gross tonnage of 7,914 and their average cruising speed was 12.5 knots.
War Argus was sold when the war ended to the White Star Line in 1919, renamed Gallic (II) and she was used on the Australian cargo runs. Two other G Type cargo ships were purchased by White Star and renamed Delphic (II) and Bardic.
Gallic (II) was sold by White Star in 1933, was sold a few more times after that and eventually scrapped in Hong Kong in 1955.
Return to Fleet List Return to Home