White Star Liner SS Pittsburgh
White Star Line Pittsburgh 1913-1941
The Pittsburgh was originally built solely for the American Line of Liverpool by Harland and Wolff, Belfast, in 1913. Construction was stopped at the outbreak of WWI and it wasn't until 1922 that she was ready for service. At this time, the American Line had been purchased by the Red Star Line which in turn was now a part of the International Mercantile. (IMM) With IMM owning the Red Star Line as well as the White Star Line, it was decided to transfer Pittsburgh to White Star at the time of her launching.
She made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Boston on June 6, 1922. Pittsburgh's regular route was Boston from Hamburg and Bremen. In November 1922, she rescued the crew of the sinking Italian cargo vessel Monte Grappa. In January 1925, the Pittsburgh was transferred to the Red Star Line and ran the Antwerp-Southampton-New York route. In February 1926, she was renamed Pennland. In 1935, Pennland was sold to Arnold Bernstein of Hamburg. In 1940, Pennland was refitted as a troop transport and in 1941, she was bombed and sunk during a German air raid in the Saronic Gulf near Athens.
1922 photo of former White Star Liner Pittsburgh painted and refitted as the Red Star Liner Pennland
Return to Fleet List Home