White Star Line
Passenger Tender SS Gallic
The SS Gallic was a paddle wheel steamship built in 1894 and launched as the SS Birkenhead by John Scott & Co. in Kinghorn, Scotland. She was originally owned and operated by the Birkenhead Corporation as a ferry on the River Mersey in England. In 1907. the Gallic was sold to the White Star Line and used as a passenger tender for the company's ocean liners.
She was based at Cherbourg, France, but soon became too small for tending the White Star Line ships as they began increasing in size. When J. Bruce Ismay proposed building the Olympic-class liners, White Star decided to build two new tenders. The SS Nomadic was built for first and second-class passengers, and the SS Traffic, for third-class passengers and mail. Nomadic also tended to Traffic's overspill of third-class passengers.
Gallic was retained for a short time at Cherbourg, where she was occasionally used as a baggage vessel and was eventually scrapped in 1913.
Return to Home