White Star Line
Passenger Tender SS Pontic
White Star Line Tender SS Pontic 1894-1930
Built for the White Star Line by Harland & Wolff shipbuilders in Belfast, SS Pontic was 150 feet long, with a 26 foot beam. She was propelled by a single triple expansion steam engine and had a cruising speed of 8 knots. Pontic was launched on February 3, 1894. She was used as both a passenger tender and a water carrier.
In 1919, White Star Line sold Pontic to the Rea Towing Co. in Liverpool and she continued to be used as a tender. Pontic was sold again in 1925 to the Beardmore Steam Ship Co. She was used as a collier and sand carrier and eventually scrapped in 1930.
Return to Home