White Star Clipper Ship Shalimar
White Star Line Clipper Shalimar 1853-1867?
The wooden hulled clipper Shalimar was built in 1853 exclusively for the White Star Line by J. Nevins of St. John in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. She was an Australian immigrant vessel and made frequent trips from Australia and New Zealand. She arrived in the Mersey on 20th October, 1854. Her registered tonnage was 1557 tons, length195.8 feet, and beam 35.2 feet. She sailed around the world 4 times in 2 years.
She had 5 different captains during her 14 year White Star Line tenure. In 1867, the year T.H. Ismay bought the White Star Line, the Shalimar was repossessed (along with 2 other WSL ships) by the Royal Bank for White Star's "failure of payment."
Return to Fleet List Return to Home