White Star Line Clipper Ship Mersey
White Star Line Clipper Ship Mersey 1894-1923
Mersey was built in 1894 by Connell's Shipbuilders of Glasgow for the Nourse Line. In 1908, J. Bruce Ismay (CEO of White Star) purchased the 1,829 ton steel hulled clipper ship. He felt it would be beneficial for White Star Line officer cadets to be trained in sail in order to be more effective in command positions on the steamers. Mersey was the first sailing vessel to be fitted with a radio. She was commanded by Captain William Corner until the outbreak of WWI, and in 1915 White Star sold her to the Transatlantic Motorship Company in Norway. The following year, 1916, she was renamed Christian Radich and was eventually scrapped in 1923.
View of Mersey's starboard side with her sails in.
Return to Fleet List Return to Home