White Star Line: SS Calgaric
White Star Liner Calgaric 1917-1936
The Calgaric was originally built as the Orca for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company on January 15, 1918. She was built as a cargo vessel and had no passenger accommodations. Two years later, 1921 she was refitted as a passenger ship by Harland & Wolff in Belfast. The refit was completed December of 1922.
On January 1, 1923 the Orca was sold to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company but kept the same name running the Hamburg to New York route. In 1927 she was sold to the White Star Line and renamed Calgaric.
Her passenger accommodations were changed to: 290-1st Class, 550-Tourist Class, 330-3rd Class. She made her first voyage as the White Star liner Calgaric on May 4, 1927 from Liverpool to Montreal. In 1929 she made her first voyage on the London to Montreal route. September 1930 saw the Calgaric laid up at Milford Haven as a reserve steamer, but she was kept 'sea ready'. She went back into service on June 9, 1933 on the Liverpool to Montreal service, but that was short lived as she was laid up again at Milford Haven on September 9, 1933. In 1934 the Calgaric was transferred to the Cunard-White Star Line but quickly sold. Cunard was attempting to eradicate any remnants of the White Star Line as quickly as possible
In 1936, after only 16 years of service she was scrapped.
Return to Fleet List Return to Home