White Star Line Mermaid
White Star Line Mermaid 1853-1883
One of the first White Star Line vessels purchased and owned (not leased as several websites claim) by original WSL owners John Pilkington and Henry Wilson. She was built in 1853 and purchased by WSL in 1854 at a considerably high price for the time. She was one of WSL's first vessels "cleared" for immigrant passage. Mermaid carried 400 passengers and offered impressive first class accommodations in an attempt to attract "prominent " passengers (with money of course) Mermaid successfully served the White Star Line for 13 years and was then sold to the Shaw Savill Line in 1867. In 1883 she ran aground and was abandoned.
Return to Fleet List Return to Home