White Star Line SS Tropic (II)
WSL Tropic (2nd) 1896-1933
The SS Tropic, originally the European, was a cargo carrier built by Harland and Wolff for the West India & Pacific Steam Ship Company and launched on July 9th, 1896. Her maiden voyage took place on January 9th 1897. She had a gross tonnage of 8,262 tons, was 475.9 ft in length, 55.2 beam, had 3 decks and 1 funnel. In addition she carried 4 masts and was powered by 2 coal fired triple expansion reciprocating steam engines. (2 screws) Avg cruising speed: 11 knots.
She was used as a troop transport during the Boer War. In 1904, European became part of the International Mercantile Marine Company through her 2nd ownership with the Leyland Line and was transferred to the White Star Line; renamed Tropic.
She was sold 3 more times in the 1920's and was renamed Artico and finally Transylvania. She was scrapped in Genoa in 1933.
Return to Fleet List Home