White Star Line RMS Cedric
WSL RMS Cedric 1903 -1932
Built in 1903 by Harland & Wolff. Cedric was ship that J. Bruce Ismay ( Managing Director of IMM and President of the White Star Line) wanted held over in New York to transport surviving Titanic crew members back to the U.K. on. Cedric sailed on without them due to their mandated appearances for testimony at the U.S. Inquiry. She was the only one of the four to be equipped with Welin davits in place of radials. When the Titanic sank in April 1912, Cedric was in New York and her departure was delayed until the Carpathia arrived with survivors, including crew members not required for the Court of Enquiry, who wished to travel back to Liverpool. In November 1914 she was requisitioned for war service and converted into an Armed Merchant Cruiser for service with the 10th Cruiser Squadron. She operated on 'A' patrol with the Teutonic. Decommissioned in 1916, she was converted into a troopship for operation initially to Egypt and then to the USA. In April 1917 her operation came under the auspices of the Liner Requisition Scheme. On 29th January 1918 whilst in convoy HG 27 she rammed Canadian Pacific's Montreal off Morcambe Bay. The Montreal was taken in tow but sank the next day 14 miles from the Mersey Bar lightship. She was returned to her owner in September 1919 and refitted by Harland & Wolff. In 1923 she collided with Cunard's Scythia off Ireland. Cedric was scrapped in 1932.
Cedric in Liverpool (webmasters private collection)
Return to Fleet List Return to Home