White Star Line SS Romanic
WSL Romanic 1898 -1922
Built by Harland and Wolff for the Dominion Line in 1898, originally named New England. She was launched on April 7, 1898 and completed in June 1898. New England made her maiden voyage on June 30th from Liverpool to Boston. In November 1903 she was transferred to the White Star Line and renamed Romanic. She made her first voyage for White Star on November 19, 1903 from Liverpool to Boston.
1909 luncheon menu card from the Romanic. It also displays Thomas Ismay's Oceanic Steam Navigation Company logo. These menus were printed daily on board ship on pre-printed White Star Line Company stock with raised logos. (Webmaster's collection)
From December she sailed the Mediterranean to USA route. On January 19, 1912 she was transferred to the Allan Line, Glasgow and renamed Scandinavian. She then sailed on the Glasgow to Montreal service.
On October 1, 1915 the Allan Line was taken over by Canadian Pacific. Her route then changed to Liverpool to Canada. Starting in 1920, she sailed the Antwerp to Canada service. In July 1922 she was laid up for a year.
On July 9, 1923 she was sold for breaking up to F. Rijsdijk, Rotterdam. On July 16 she was resold to Klasmann & Lentze, Emden, and scrapped at Hamburg.Transferred to WSL in 1903 then sold to the Allan line and renamed Scandinavian in 1912. Eventually scrapped in 1922.
Return to Fleet List Home