White Star Line SS Runic (II)
WSL Runic (2nd) 1902-1940 torpedoed and sunk (WWII) by U-138
SS Runic (II), another ship of the Jubilee Class, was built by Harland and Wolff, Belfast for the White Star Line and launched in 1902. She was constructed to work the Liverpool to Sidney route. In 1930 after 28 years with White Star, she was sold to the Sevilla Whaling company and renamed New Sevilla. She was used as a whaling factory ship until she was requisitioned by the by the British Government and converted to an oil tanker during WWII. While in convoy, she was attacked and sunk by a U-boat (U-138) and went down off of the Irish coast in 1940 killing 2.
Return to Fleet List Home